Recipe by Rita~
The presentation and taste is that of a Very Fine Restaurant. Pamper your loved ones with these elegant pillows filled with flavor making them fit for a romantic Valentines evening. Served over a bed of fresh spinach or rice. Don't forget to remove the string or toothpicks.
Top Review by Vino p.o. prn
Excellent..excellent..excellent.. but I made some changes. I was pressed for time and I quickly rolled up the chicken pillows (omitted flour coating), tied with kitchen string and baked them in a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes. Served with saffron rice. They were so tasty and had a really nice presentation. Looking forward to making it in a pan with the sauce next time!! Thanks so much!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts, 5 cutlets sliced thin
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- dried basil, to taste
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted and divided in half (optional)
- 15 baby spinach leaves, washed and dried
- 5 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 1 1⁄2 ounces asiago cheese, cut into 5 strips
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- fresh basil
- fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Place one chicken breast cutlets between two pieces of clear plastic wrap; working from the center to the edges, pound the chicken lightly with a meat mallet, forming a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick; remove the plastic wrap.
- Place all cutlets in a single layer on a work surface. Season both sides with salt, pepper, basil and cayenne.
- Evenly distribute 1/2 the pine nuts (reserving 1/2 for garnish) on the cutlets, top with tomatoes, cheese and spinach leaves.
- Roll up the chicken securing them up with string or tooth picks into bundles. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Coat each bundle with flour then dip into egg then back into flour.
- Whisk the remaining flour (about 1-2 tablespoons) into 1/4 cup of the chicken stock and set aside.
- In a large hot skillet cook chicken bundles in butter and oil 5-10 minutes turning until golden brown, adding additional butter if needed. Remove chicken and place in warm oven.
- Place garlic in pan and saute for 2 minutes. Add 1/3 cup white wine to the garlic to deglaze the pan. Add chicken stock and the flour/stock mixture. Whisk till smooth and thicken if to thick add additional stock. Simmering for 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven top with sauce and garnish with pine nuts and fresh basil.