Recipe by teresas
This is a delicious sticky recipe packed full of yummy flavors. Feel free to sub honey for the corn syrup if you are fructose intolerant. This is great served with a side of rice and steamed veggies, or serve with fries for a nice appetizer meal.
Top Review by Bonnie G #2
So easy and so good. Love the sweet, spicy flavor of this. I did have to make a change in that I used chicken thighs instead of drumsticks and had to use the honey as couldn't fin the corn syrup here. Both DH and I agree this is a winner, that we'll be making again. Made for Rookie Tag 2012
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 red onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 tablespoons Tabasco sauce, divided
- 1⁄2 cup dark corn syrup, divided
- 2 tablespoons snow peas, slivered
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Heat a oven proof fry pan to medium high heat. (I use a 10-inch cast iron skillet).
- Make a dredge with the red pepper flakes, flour, paprika, salt and pepper in a zip lock bag, add in the drumstick and toss to coat, set aside.
- Saute chopped onions in butter and olive oil in the fry pan until translucent, add in garlic and cook until tender.
- Remove the onion and garlic from the pan and set aside.
- Add the drumsticks and cook for 15 minutes turning the chicken often until nice and crispy.
- Meanwhile prepare the dipping sauce by mixing the sauce ingredients together, and place in the refrigerator to chill.
- Sprinkle 2 tbs Tabasco sauce on top adding 1/4 cup dark corn syrup.
- Put pan in oven and continue to cook for 15 minutes turning drumsticks often.
- Sprinkle the rest of the Tabasco sauce on top adding the remainder of the dark corn syrup.
- Cook for another 15 minutes while turning drumsticks often.
- Add back in the onion mixture.
- Simmer to caramelize the dish about 5-8 minutes.
- Sprinkle the slivered snow peas on top and serve with the dipping sauce.