Recipe by echo echo
A dim sum recipe from Cooking Light. The meatballs are called lion's heads because they are very large.
Top Review by Chef 313014
Good but spicy! I used celery instead of water chesnuts, dried herbs instead of fresh, all coconut milk and omitted the fish sauce as I did not have it. I still thought it was very good, even with my adjustments, and will try again. Thanks!
- 1 lb ground lean pork or 1 lb ground round
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped water chestnut
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced hot red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1⁄2 cup light coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup soymilk
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced hot red pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine pork through salt in a large bowl and form into 8 large balls.
- Sauté meatballs in oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned on all sides; continue cooking 6-7 min, then drain.
- Combine sauce ingredients in saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add meatballs to sauce, cover, reduce heat and continue simmering 8 minutes.
- Serve garnished with basil and lemon peel.