Recipe by ellie_
Typically this uses ground pork but it is also good with ground chicken. These are good served over noodles or rice as part of an Asian meal. Adapted from Martha Stewart Entertaining
Top Review by Annacia
I made a 3 serving amount of this as we are just two and it made enough for 4 servings at least! I didn't add the 1 tsp of Sherry that it asked for and used less than the 1/2 cup of oil 1/4 to 1/3 I would say. All else was just as called for and we both loved this. I used the chicken and at the end of 1hr 45mins everything was cooked and the meat balls were moist and tender. The ginger was mild and added a nice flavor element. Mine needed a bit more thickening but I think that is just personal preference. It made a lovely dinner served with steamed rice on this cold and snowy day.
- 5 lbs Chinese cabbage
- 1 inch gingerroot
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 3 teaspoons sherry wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄2 lbs ground chicken or 2 1⁄2 lbs ground pork
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt or 2 teaspoons other coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 4 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove 5 outer leaves of cabbage and cut off crinkly tops of cabbage and reserve for another dish. Cut the thick white ribs into 2 1/2 inch wide pieces (I think regular cabbage can easily be subsituted here).
- Crush ginger wiht dull edge of a knife and then soak it in 2/3 cup cold water for 15 minutes. Discard ginger but reserve water.
- In a large mixing bowl combine ginger water, sherry and pepper. Add ground chicken (or ground pork) to mixture, mixing well to combine all.
- Heat a wok on the stove, add 5 tablespoons oil and heat until hot.
- Add sliced cabbage to wok and stir-fry for 1 minute. Stir in salt and cook for 2-5 more minutes. Remove cabbage and arrange in bottom of a 8-quart casserole.
- In a small cup or bowl mix together cornstarch and water. Dipping your hands into the mixture roll ground meat mixture into 16 meatballs. Place meatballs on a cookie sheet.
- In a skillet heat 2-3 tablespoons oil and then fry the meatballs in the hot oil, turning the meatballs so they brown on all sides.
- Arrange the meatballs on top of cabbage in casserole.
- Pour chicken broth over meatballs and then cover with whole cabbage leaves.
- Simmer for 3 hours.
- Serve hot.