Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This comes from a BBC TV series: Chinese Food Made Easy. The chef is Ching-He Huang. She calls this "celebration food" - to be shared with friends and family at special occasions.
For the meatballs
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon shaoxing rice wine (or more, to taste) or 1 tablespoon dry sherry (or more, to taste)
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 pinch white pepper
For the Finished Dish
- 3 1⁄2 fluid ounces peanut oil
- 1 1⁄4 pints vegetable stock
- 11 ounces Chinese cabbage, leaves quartered lengthways
- 3 dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked in warm water for 15 minutes, then drained (alternative use fresh chestnut mushrooms, sliced)
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornflour, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons cold water (optional)
- sea salt
- white pepper
- 2 large spring onions, sliced
- 1 dash sesame oil (optional)
- Put all ingredients for the meatballs into a large bowl and stir to combine, stirring in the same direction.
- Using wetted hands, take a large mound of the minced meat mixture and mould into a ball a little larger than a golf ball. Place on a plate and repeat with remaining mixture.
- Pour the groundnut oil into a large deep pan and heat over high heat.
- Using a metal ladle, carefully lower each meatball into the oil and spoon some of the oil over the meatballs Cook for 4 - 5 minutes until browned.
- Pour all but 2 T of oil into a heatproof bowl. Add the water or stock to the pan.
- Arrange the slices of chinese cabbage around the meatballs, curving them around the sides of the pan lengthways.
- Add mushrooms and soy sauce and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan, reduce the heat and cook gently for 15 minutes.
- Add the blended cornflour and stir until thickened.
- Take off the heat, season to taste with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the spring onions.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve immediately with steamed rice.