Recipe by PSU Lioness
I didn't have all of the ingredients to make broccoli salad so I fudged a few things around and came up with this. Everyone loved it! It's somewhat the same as the original recipe I used but the a few ingredients switched and one or two that I added to fit our family's preferences. I hope you like it as much as we did!
- 3 heads fresh broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup matchstick carrot (or grated carrots)
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds (optional)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
- 1 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon red wine
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Add all salad ingredients, EXCEPT bacon bits, to a bowl that is large enough to hold them and allow mixing.
- Mix all dressing ingredients in a separate bowl. Add more onion flakes to taste.
- Mix dressing into vegetables. Serve immediately or chill, covered, in the fridge before serving.
- Stir in bacon bit just before serving, if desired.