Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are the sugar from the Lion House in Salt Lake City! They are the best cookies I have ever made for decorating. They are extremely soft after you make the icing. I make the whole batch and freeze some.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 4 2⁄3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup water
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together. Add to creamed mixture. Combine thoroughly.
- With hands shape dough into a ball.
- Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Grease cookie sheets lightly.
- On lightly floured board or counter, roll 1/2 to 1/3 of dough at a time, keeping rest in fridge.
- For soft cookies, roll 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut with floured cookie cutter. Place 1/2 inch apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400°F for 8 minutes or until a VERY light brown.
- For Frosting:.
- Combine butter, shortening and powdered sugar and beat until very creamy.
- Add lemon juice and vanilla.
- Mix until well blended.
- Add water.
- Mix until very light.
- Separate into bowls and add food coloring.
- Decorate as desired.