Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I stole this recipe from my aunt's Lion House cookbook. The first time I made this, my neighbors came over to visit and I gave them a loaf. Next thing I know, their kids are asking for the recipe! A very thick and yummy bread. I cut my zucchini in small chunks and throw them in the food processor to speed things up.
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate (2 blocks)
- 2 cups zucchini, grated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, all purpose
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, semi-sweet
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare two 8x4-inch loaf pans by greasing and flouring or by lining with parchment paper.
- Melt unsweetened chocolate and set aside.
- Wash and grate zucchini; set aside.
- Measure flour, salt, soda, baking powder, and cinnamon into a bowl; stir and set aside.
- Place eggs in mixing bowl and beat.
- Add the sugars, oil, melted chocolate, and vanilla; beat until creamy.
- Add the zucchini and stir together. Mix in dry ingredients until incorporated. Add the chocolate chips and mix inches.
- Pour into pans and bake for 45-50.
I love this recipie! The chocolate chips do make a difference. I tend to freeze my zucchini, and just thaw it out when i'm ready to use it. When I do that, I put the water and all in from the little baggy it is in, and it always turns out perfect.
Perhaps it's my fault. I left out the chocolate chips, because I don't like them in chocolate zucchini bread, and it just wasn't chocolatey enough, plus it was pretty dry. I wish I could just find my old recipe--that's why I came to Recipezaar, to try to re-create the old magic!