Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I made these sweet cupcakes for my daughter's first birthday (there was a jungle theme)!! They were a hit!! Use your favorite cupcake mix/recipe to make these! The decorations are listed below - just adjust the quantity of decorations to cover the amount of cupcakes you are making.
- 24 cupcakes, premade
- 396.89 g bag flaked coconut
- 453.59 g container chocolate frosting (or caramel frosting)
- 96 piece thin black licorice (approx 3/4-inch)
- 48 small white gumdrops
- 48 brown miniature M&M's chocolate candies (or brown reeses pieces)
- pink icing
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Toast coconut on a cookie sheet in a single layer for 6-10 minutes until lightly brown (stir coconut every 2-3 minutes while toasting).
- Frost cupcakes with frosting.
- Roll edges of cupcake in toasted coconut to make the lion's "mane".
- Place 2 gum drops side by side in the lower/middle of the cupcake.
- Place 2 licorice "whiskers" on each side tucked partially under the gum drops to adhere.
- Place 2 m&m "eyes" above the gumdrops.
- Place a dab of pink icing below eyes and above the gumdrops to make the "nose".
These came out sooooo cute! I made these for my son's 1st grade class for September birthday babies (the school mascot is are the Linder Lions so I thought it worked well). Made exactly as directed except some of the lions had blue or green eyes too. They were a huge hit with kids and teacher alike. Would make again for sure thanks for a unique and easy recipe.
These were awesome! They went over quite well with my little monkeys. I'd like to come up with something besides coconut though, since no one really likes it. We thought of strips of fondant or a ring of Cheerios. Hey maybe cornflakes? I will have to update again when I've tried these other options.