Recipe by Mom of Five
I have doctored this recipe over the years; it's the favorite of my oldest daughter (I won't say how much she can eat by herself!). I make it using my own pastry. Enjoy!
- pastry dough, for one 9 inch pie
- 10 ounces chopped spinach, cooked (and squeezed "dry")
- 1⁄2 cup ham, diced
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Prepare pastry. Sprinkle cheese, ham, and arrange spinach in pastry-lined pie plate.
- 2. Beat eggs slightly, beat in remaining ingredients, except nutmeg.
- 3. Pour egg mixture into pie plate and sprinkle nutmeg evenly on top.
- 4. Cook, uncovered, at 425 degrees oven for 15 minutes.
- 5. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees. Cook uncovered until knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean, about 30 minutes longer.
- 6. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.