Recipe by Olha
This is baked like a bar cookie. Source: The Great Holiday Baking Book
Top Review by Roecrim
I have a picky family but I wanted to bring something new to our Thanksgiving get together. These cookies were the big hit! They were easy to make and smelled great too. They've been requested for Christmas. Thanks!
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup ground toasted hazelnuts (filberts) or 1 cup almonds
- 1 tablespoon dark unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup seedless raspberry jam or 1 cup apricot jam
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until smooth using an electric mixer or a wooden spoon.
- Add the egg and beat until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the nuts, cocoa, spices, and flour.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- REMOVE one-third of the dough and return it to the refrigerator.
- Place the remaining dough between sheets of plastic wrap and roll out to make a 10-inch square.
- Remove the top sheet of plastic wrap and place the dough into the prepared baking pan, plastic up.
- Pull of the other sheet of plastic and with your fingers, press the dough onto the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of the pan.
- Spread the dough evenly with the jam.
- Place the RESERVED dough between 2 sheets of plastic and roll out to a 9 1/2 inch square with about 1/4-inch thickness.
- With a pastry wheel, cut into 1/2-inch strips.
- Place the strips in a crisscross fashion over the jam and press the ends onto the edges of the bottom crust.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until light brown.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- Cut into 2 1/4 inch squares.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar.
- Makes 16 bars.