Recipe by mandabears
This recipe comes from a magazine from 1990. I used to make it all of the time and guess what, I lost the recipe. I found it this morning tucked in a very old cookbook. It is delicious, rich and creamy and uses a yellow cake mix. the hardest thing to do is prepare the almonds.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup almonds, ground blanched, toasted, see below
- 1 (12 ounce) jar raspberry preserves
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream, whipped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly grease and flour 2 9 inch round or square cake, or lightly spray with baking spray(like Baker's Joy).
- In a large bowl on high, beat the cake mix, pudding mix, buttermilk, vegetable oil, cinnamon and 4 eggs.
- Beat together until well moistened.
- Increase speed to medium for 2 minutes.
- Fold in 3/4 cups ground almonds.
- Divide batter between the 2 pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire racks for 10 minutes.
- Remove cake from pans and cool completely on wire rack.
- In small bowl mix preserves and orange peel.
- To assemble cake:.
- Place 1 layer on serving plate.
- Spread with 1/2 of the preserves, I heat the preserves in the microwave for 30 seconds to soften.
- Top with second cake layer.
- Spread with the rest of the preserves.
- Sprinkle with the remaining ground almonds.
- Pipe or spoon whipped cream on cake.
- I prefer to serve the slices of cake with whipped cream.
- To toast almonds:.
- grind blanched, peeled almonds in a food processor, use short on/off pulses so you don't over process.
- Place on a baking sheet for 5-8 minutes, stirring until lightly golden.