Prep 2 hrs
Cook 45 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup fine ground almonds
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon, rind of, grated
- 2 hard egg yolks, cooked, mashed
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 raw egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups thick raspberry jam
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons light cream
- confectioners' sugar
- Sift flour, cloves and cinnamon together into a deep mixing bowl.
- Add ground almonds, sugar, lemon peel and mashed egg yolks.
- With a wooden spoon, beat in butter, raw egg yolks and vanilla.
- Continue beating until smooth and doughy.
- Form dough into ball.
- Wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate at least 1 hour or until firm.
- Remove about 3/4 of dough and return rest to refrigerator.
- Lightly butter round cake pan (spring-form, if available). Add dough, and press out to form a 1/4-inch thick shell.
- Spoon in raspberry jam and spread out evenly with spatula.
- With floured rolling pin on a floured surface, roll out remaining dough 1/4-inch thick.
- Cut 1/2 inch wide strips, 2 of them 9-inches long and the rest 8-inches.
- Lay atop jam in lattice; run knife around sides of pan and press dough at sides down to form a 1/4-inch border.
- Lightly beat whole egg and cream and coat exposed pastry.
- Refrigerate 1/2 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake torte 45 to 50 minutes until lightly brown.
- Let cool 5 minutes and sprinkle with confectioners sugar.