Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This Vienese classic made easier with a cake mix.
- 18 1⁄4 ounces yellow cake mix
- 3 1⁄2 ounces vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup ground blanched almond, toasted
- 12 ounces seedless raspberry preserves
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease and flour 2 9 inch cake pans.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat cake mix, pudding mix, buttermilk, vegetable oil, cinnamon and eggs until moistened.
- Gradually increase speed to medium and for for 2 minutes.
- Fold in 3/4 cup ground almonds.
- Divide batter between prepared pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool completely on racks.
- In a small bowl mix raspberry preserves and orange peel.
- Place 1 cake layer on serving plate.
- Spread with 1/2 of the preserve mixture.
- Top with second cake layer.
- Spread with remaining preserve mixture and sprinkle with almonds.
- Spread whipped cream around border of cake.
- To prepare almonds: Grind almonds.
- Toast in a 350 degree oven for 5-8 minutes, stir frequently.