A great holiday or special occasion cookie
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1For the Dough: cream softened butter with powdered sugar until well blended.
- 2Add the orange extract to the butter mixture and stir well to incorporate.
- 3Stir in the sifted flour one cup at a time, mixing well.
- 4Chill dough 2 or more hours before rolling.
- 5Fill with raspberry or apricot preserves or a mixture of the two.
- 6Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 7Roll out dough on lightly floured board with floured rolling pin until about 1/4 inch thick.
- 8Cut with 2 inch round cutter (scalloped cutter is nice) and place on ungreased baking sheet.
- 9Cut out small center circle with 1 inch or smaller cutter in 1/2 of the cookies.
- 10(Reroll scraps as you go).
- 11Bake at 350°F for about 12 minutes, until pale golden and edges are starting to brown.
- 12Cool completely on a wire rack at least 1/2 hour.
- 13Place all the tops (with the inner circles cut out) close together on a sheet of waxed paper.
- 14Dust sifted powdered sugar thickly over the tops.
- 15Place the bottoms on another sheet of waxed paper.
- 16Spread 2 teaspoons preserves very carefully on each bottom cookie.
- 17Spread evenly leaving 1/4 inch rim without preserves around the edge.
- 18Spread the preserves without picking up the cookie; use a flat knife and work right on the waxed paper covered surface.
- 19Top each preserve covered bottom cookie with a sugared top cookie, lightly holding it at the edges.
- 20Carefully transfer to a serving plate.
- 21Do not try to stack or store these very long.
- 22The basic cookies could be packed and frozen, but the assembled cookies should be made the day they are to be served.
- 23PS the original recipe gave the above warning about stacking and storing, but I have made them at Christmas and stacked them between sheets of waxed paper in a tin with no problem.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Linzer Tarts
Serving Size: 1 (905 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 476.4
- Calories from Fat 210
- Total Fat 23.3 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 61.0 mg
- Sodium 177.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 28.1 g
- Protein 3.2 g