Recipe by Ashley U
Linzer Torte originated in Linz, Austria. Here is the same tart, but in an easy cooking form.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup blanched slivered almond, ground
- 1 (10 ounce) jar strawberry jelly (I prefer raspberry spread) or 1 (10 ounce) jar raspberry jelly (I prefer raspberry spread)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl.
- Add eggs and almond extract until well mixed.
- Reduce speed to low when adding flour and ground nuts.
- Divide dough into 8 equal parts.
- Roll each part into an 8-inch log on a lightly floured surface.
- Wrap in plastic food wrap; refrigerate until firm about 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place logs on cookie sheets.
- Pat each log into 2-inch wide logs.
- Press a 1-inch wide indentation lengthwise down the center of each strip using the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 17-19 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons fruit spread into the indentation of each log; sprinkle with almond slices.
- Cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces while cookies are still warm.
- Cool completely on cookie sheet.