Recipe by MizEmerilLagasse
This a traditional Hungarian desert that is truly tasty and unlike anything found in America.
- 709.77 ml flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 113.39 g butter, chilled
- 113.39 g shortening, chilled
- 314.66 ml you favorite jam, I like apricot, raspberry (or lekvar*) or 314.66 ml plums
- 5 eggs, separated
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 88.74 ml sour cream
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml ground walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift first three ingredients together.
- Cut in the butter and shortening to the flour mixture.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the egg yolks, vanilla, and sour cream
- Add this mixture to the flour and butter mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- On a floured surface, roll the chilled dough out to fit the bottom of a 11" x 15" x 1" baking pan (you may need to trim the edges but try not to make the dough too thin).
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- White cake is baking, beat, in a very clean bowl, the egg whites until stiff peaks form on the tips of the beaters, gradually adding the sugar while beating.
- Remove cake from oven and immediately spread with meringue.
- Sprinkle with walnuts and return to oven for about 15 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned (watch this very closely so it won't burn).
- Serve warm, room temp, or, my favorite, chilled.
- *lekvar is a European fruit jam that is thicker than American jams and has more of a texture like fruit butter.