1 hr 45 mins
This a traditional Hungarian desert that is truly tasty and unlike anything found in America.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift first three ingredients together.
- 2Cut in the butter and shortening to the flour mixture.
- 3In a separate bowl, mix together the egg yolks, vanilla, and sour cream
- 4Add this mixture to the flour and butter mixture.
- 5Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 6Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 7On a floured surface, roll the chilled dough out to fit the bottom of a 11" x 15" x 1" baking pan (you may need to trim the edges but try not to make the dough too thin).
- 8Bake for 30 minutes.
- 9White cake is baking, beat, in a very clean bowl, the egg whites until stiff peaks form on the tips of the beaters, gradually adding the sugar while beating.
- 10Remove cake from oven and immediately spread with meringue.
- 11Sprinkle with walnuts and return to oven for about 15 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned (watch this very closely so it won't burn).
- 12Serve warm, room temp, or, my favorite, chilled.
- 13*lekvar is a European fruit jam that is thicker than American jams and has more of a texture like fruit butter.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Linzer Meringue Cake (Linzer Teszta)
Serving Size: 1 (81 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 377.2
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 83.3 mg
- Sodium 96.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 27.2 g
- Protein 5.0 g