Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
These make wonderful Christmas cookies. They're very small, so they're a delightful treat for dessert -- maybe half the size of a regular cookie. Great combination of flavors!
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind, grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup flour (all-purpose)
- 1⁄2 cup ground hazelnuts
- 1⁄2 cup ground almonds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove (ground)
- 1⁄2 cup raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cream butter and sugar with electric mixer. Add egg yolk and beat until light and fluffy. Add grated lemon rind and juice, then add cocoa and blend. Set aside.
- Mix flour, nuts, and spices. Pour the butter/egg mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix with a fork or hands as for a piecrust. Dough will be soft. Place in a bowl cover, and refrigerate for an hour.
- Take half-teaspoonfuls of dough and roll into balls. Place 1" apart on ungreased cookie sheet (cookies should not spread much). With your pinkie finger, make a small indentation in the center of each cookie - don't punch through to the cookie shet. Fill the indentation with a dab of raspberry (or cherry, or strawberry) jam.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Loosen cookies from the sheet when they're first out of the oven, but leave on the sheets until they're cool.