1/1 Photo of Linzer Cookies
This classic Austrian cookie is typically made with almonds and a raspberry jam, but a different nut or jam will also work.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup trans fat-free margarine or 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup grated lemon peel (optional)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds (optional)
- 1/3 cup raspberry jam
- confectioners' sugar
- 1Beat margarine, oil, granulated sugar and lemon peel, if using, until light.
- 2Beat in egg and vanilla extract until smooth.
- 3In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- 4Add to sugar mixture, and stir by hand just until dough is soft.
- 5Divide dough in half, shape each half into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate one hour, or until well chilled.
- 6When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F.
- 7Between two pieces of wax paper, roll out one disk to ¼" thickness.
- 8Cut out cookies using a 1½"- to 2"-round cookie cutter or glass rim.
- 9Using a ½"-round or shaped cutter, cut centers out of half the cookies.
- 10Place cookies 2" to 3" apart on baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- 11Sprinkle cookies with centers cut out with almonds; if using, pressing gently to help them adhere.
- 12Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly golden around edges.
- 13Transfer to rack to cool.
- 14Repeat with remaining disk, rerolling scraps once to get as many cookies as possible.
- 15Spread solid cookies with jam, and sprinkle cut-out cookies lightly with confectioners' sugar.
- 16Top each solid cookie with a cut-out cookie.
- 17Notes: Freeze Em; Freezing is a good idea for these cookies, since they're so low in fat that they don't keep as long as traditional high-fat cookies.
- 18Store in airtight containers, or freeze them if they aren't going to be eaten within a day or two.
- 19Soft and crisp cookies shouldn't be stored together; the crisp ones will go soggy, and the soft ones will lose moisture.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Linzer Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (615 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 749.0
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 84.6 mg
- Sodium 556.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 154.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 81.2 g
- Protein 11.3 g