Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
A friend brought this to one of my cookie exchange parties. I have tried the raspberry version, but she said that apricot jam could also be used, so I am including both. Great flavor and really nice presentation! A food processor comes in handy for the walnuts, or you can finely chop them.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup walnuts, ground
- 1 cup apricots or 1 cup raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 325°F Grease a 9x9" square pan.
- Cream together butter, sugar, egg, lemon zest, salt, cinnamon, and cloves in a bowl.
- Mix in flour and walnuts.
- Reserve 1/4 of the dough, and pat the remaining into the prepared pan, going up about 1/2 inch on each side.
- Spread chosen jam flavor in a layer over top of the dough.
- Flour a flat surface.
- Use reserved dough to create a lattice top for the bars by dividing it into pencil-shaped strips and rolling it on the floured surface.
- Arrange in a lattice pattern across the top of the jam, criss crossing the strips and pressing the ends against the dough on the sides of the pan.
- Bake 45 mintures, or until lightly browned.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack before cutting into bars.
Original review July 1, 2010 These were quite tasty though the filling was a bit on the sweet side for me. DH really liked them a lot as did my auto mechanic who I shared some with - he called me later and said AWESOME! I used a mixture of 2/3 raspberry jam and 1/3 mixed berry (ran out of the 1st). Maybe a little lemon juice would cut some of the sweetness? I used ground almonds in place of the walnuts as I had them on hand. Thanks for sharing we'll make these again! Made for ZWT 6 by one of the Unrulies Under the Influence. Updated review June 20, 2011 - I wish I could give this 5 more stars! This has become my go-to recipe for tart shells - I made a bunch of mini ones for my DD's wedding last July filling them with my version of pastry cream and topping with strawberry slices and fresh raspberries with a little raspberry sauce. I just made a big tart yesterday for Father's day I took out a little dough to make a small tart for my dairy sensitive daughter other wise used a full recipe for the shell. The most important thing is to cook them enough or the stick. Everyone loves these, the crunch cookie shell is a great contrast to the cream and fruit. Thanks again!
The shortbread crust has a great flavor to it. I used a 9" square springform pan so it was easy to remove my cookies to a cutting board. I would have liked the instructions to specify how many lattice strips we should make. I made 8. I put apricot preserves on one half and raspberry preserves on the other half. I am going to freeze some of the cookies to enjoy later. The cookies taste great with a cold glass of milk.
Delicious! Made with raspberry preserves this time. Plan to try lots of flavours in the future. Made for ZWT6 Seasoned Sailor and his Sassy Sirens.