Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Our Kitchen To Yours
- 1 lb lentils
- 4 pints boiling water
- 1⁄2 lb piece lean bacon
- 1 leek
- 2 large carrots
- 2 celery ribs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 medium onions
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄2 lb garlic sausage
- Put lentils in a saucepan with the boiling water, bacon, diced vegetables and salt.
- Bring back to boil, then simmer for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in frying pan.
- Add onions and fry until softened.
- Sprinkle in flour and stir well.
- Cook until golden brown.
- Remove frying pan from heat, stir in about 8 fluid ounces of soup until mixture is thick and creamy.
- Stir in vinegar, add this mixture to remaining soup.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until lentils are tender.
- Remove bacon and dice.
- Return to soup with sausage, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer 5 more minutes to heat sausage.