Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Rachel Rey recipe. This was impressive, inexpensive, and delicious!
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 -7 anchovy fillets, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup clam juice or 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans clams, undrained
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 lb linguine, slightly undercooked, about 6 to 7 minutes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- black pepper, lots
- some coarse salt
- crusty bread, for mopping
- Heat a large deep skillet over medium heat.
- Add extra-virgin olive oil, 4 turns of the pan in a slow stream, red pepper flakes, garlic and anchovies and cook until anchovies melt into the oil.
- Add thyme and wine. Reduce wine 1 minute.
- Add clam juice or stock, clam juice will give the dish a stronger clam flavor, chicken stock will give it a buttery personality.
- Stir in clams and lemon zest.
- Drain pasta.
- Add to skillet and toss with sauce 2 to 3 minutes, until pasta is al dente and has absorbed the sauce and flavor.
- Add parsley, pepper and salt, to your taste and serve with bread for mopping up remaining juices.
I tried this recipe twice. First time I left out lemon zest cause I wasn't sure about that. It was good but too hot, so I left out the red peppers and just kept them on the table for people to use if desired. BUT, I also used the lemon zest this time and it made the sauce very bitter. I had to dilute with more clam juice and wine. I think this would be a great recipe without the zest and red peppers (or much less of them).
This recipe was delicious and easy to make. I Did Not use anchovies just cause I am not too keen on the flavor but followed everything else. I served it with a small side salad and some Italian bread.
This was too HOT for our taste even though we are spicy food eaters- but the recipe overall is very good. Next time I will probably use 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper. I also omitted the anchovies and added capers for saltiness. Will make this again- great dinner!