Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Lightly spice your pasta sauce with cinnamon and cloves - it adds a great dimension to this all-time comfort food great. To make a pasta bake, stir the meatball sauce with cooked penne pasta, tip into an ovenproof dish, then top with mozzarella and cook in the oven until bubbling and golden. Recipe from olive magazine, November 2012
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 red onion, grated
- 1 small bunch basil, chopped
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2 ounces breadcrumbs
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 14 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoons sugar, of any kind
- 6 1⁄2 ounces linguine, cooked to serve
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Put the beef in a bowl with 1/2 the onion, 1/2 the basil, the parmesan, breadcrumbs and a pinch of chili flakes. Season well with salt and pepper then mix everything together and shape into small meatballs using clean hands.
- Heat a tbsp olive oil in a large pan and cook the meatballs until browned all over.
- Scoop out then add another tbsp oil and cook the garlic for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, cloves, cinnamon and another pinch of chili. Stir in the sugar then simmer for 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add back the meatballs and simmer for another 10-15 minutes. Scoop out the cloves and serve with the linguini, the rest of the basil and extra parmesan if you like.