- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms, lightly sauteid in 1 teaspoon olive oil with salt
- 1 lb linguine
- 1 (4 ounce) container sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 1 bunch parsley (about 2 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup basil leaves
- 1⁄4 cup hazelnuts, lightly toasted
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 4 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Make pesto: Place, sundried tomatoes, parsley, basil, hazelnuts, parmesan cheese, garlic, salt and pepper in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Add olive oil and continue processing for about 15 seconds, or until combined; set aside.
- Cook linguini according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat salted water in a medium-large sauce pan to boiling.
- Add shrimp and boil 2 minutes, or until they become opaque.
- Toss linguini, shrimp, mushrooms and pesto together in a large bowl, and stir to combine.
- Serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese, chopped parsley and crusty french bread.
- Don't forget the wine!
I can honestly say this is one of the best recipes I've had in a long time. If I could give it more than five stars I would! For one thing, it was easy and quick to make but tasted and looked like you'd spent a long time on it. I would definitely serve this to company. Also, I've made lots of pesto sauces but the sundried tomatoes and hazelnuts gave it a special touch. Finally, it reheated well and was even better the next day for lunch, after the flavours had some time to sink in. A lovely dish in every way.
The innovative tomato-hazelnut pesto is the star(5 of them) of this dish! A complexity of ingredients, that both blend and offset each other, resulting in a layering of flavors. I also sauteed the shrimp after cooking the mushrooms, it makes the dish even easier and the flavor works better with the pesto. Chicken would work easilly as well if you don't like/can't eat shrimp. My only thought is that the ingredients should be listed in the order they are used. Thank you for this wonderful dish and you have my vote as the #1 recipe!
Followed this recipe exactly, it was delicious!! A wonderful combination of flavours, the sundried tomatoes intensified the taste of the pesto and adding the hazelnuts to the pesto instead of sprinkling on top was a refreshing change from the expected. The recipe was impressive but easily put together, and gave a look of quality. Thanks for sharing and good luck in the contest!!