Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 shallots, chopped or to taste green onion
- 1 teaspoon lemon, rind of, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 12 shrimp or 12 large prawns
- 12 scallops
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 lbs mussels
- 28 ounces tomatoes, canned
- 1⁄4 cup basil, fresh, shredded
- 1 lb linguine
- Serve pasta and sauce in a large bowl on the table and let people help themselves.
- Vary the seafood according to your tastes. Grated Parmesan is traditionally not offered with seafood dishes.
- If you prefer a vegetarian version, saute mushrooms and peppers instead of seafood and add into tomato sauce.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium-high heat. Add shallots and garlic. Saute for 1 minute or until softened slightly, then add lemon rind, parsley, shrimps and scallops.
- Saute together until shrimps just turn pink and scallops are translucent, about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon from skillet. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add white wine to skillet, bring to boil and add mussels. Cover and steam mussels until they open, about 3 minutes.
- Remove mussels from skillet and reserve with shrimps and scallops. Remove mussel meats from half the mussels, leaving remainder in their shells. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Meanwhile drain tomatoes and chop, reserving juice. Add tomatoes, juice and chili flakes into skillet and bring to boil.
- Stir in 2 Tbsp basil and simmer for 10 minutes to combine flavours. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sauce can be made ahead to this point. When ready to serve: bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Add pasta and cook until al dente, about 10-12 minutes. Drain well.
- Return seafood to sauce, sprinkle with remaining basil then reheat. Toss with pasta and serve.