Recipe by Kozmic Blues
This recipe is adapted from a Neopolitan version of "Linguini and Clams in Red Sauce". I prefer the clams to be served in their shells over the pasta, never removed or chopped
Top Review by SarasotaCook
Excellent, classic dish. Fresh flavors, although I did have to use canned clams. It was a working lunch for co workers, so I needed something really quick. I did add a little white wine and my local grocer had fresh linguine which was great. It is such an easy quick dish. Thx for such a classic recipe Kim
- 59.14 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 907.18 g littleneck clams, scrubbed well
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 793.78 g can whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped (preferably San Marzano)
- 4.92 ml dried basil
- 2.46 ml dried oregano
- 4.92-7.39 ml crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 453.59 g linguine
- freshly chopped basil, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- A Neopolitan custom is to let the clams soak in very cold water with a tsp of salt and the juice of one lemon for about 1/2 hour.
- This will remove any sand or grit in the clams.
- This step is optional, but I do suggest that you at least scrub the outer shells of the littlenecks quite well with a vegetable brush.
- Bring a large stockpot of water to a boil for the linguini.
- In another pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add shallots and crushed red pepper and sauté until shallots are softened.
- Add chopped garlic and anchovies, and saute until anchovies begin to melt into the olive oil, careful not to let garlic get too dark.
- Carefully add chopped tomatoes with their liquid.
- Stir to combine, and add dried basil and oregano.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer sauce until ready to cook clams and linguini.
- Add little neck clams to the simmering tomato sauce, stir to coat well, and cover.
- While clams begin to steam in sauce, generously salt the boiling pasta water, add linguini, and cook until al dente, (about 7 minutes).
- As clams begin to open, I remove them to a large bowl and cover, until pasta and remaining clams are cooked.
- Drain pasta, and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Top with tomato sauce and toss with chopped fresh basil.
- Finally, add cooked clams over top the pasta, still in their shells.