Recipe by Kim D.
This makes a wonderful meatless main dish or a side dish. I adopted this recipe from Recipezaar in August 2006. I've since made this for my family and they loved it; however, I did made one minor change to the recipe. The original recipe did not call for garlic, but I felt it would have been bland without it. --NOTE-- Frozen spinach can be used. Just thaw, rinse and squeeze water from spinach very well before adding to the skillet of butter.
- 1 (10 ounce) fresh spinach, prewashed and drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 lb dried linguine
- 5 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove any tough stems from the fresh spinach.
- In large frying pan, melt butter over low heat.
- Add green onions and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add spinach and salt and stir until wilted.
- Simmer until liquid evaporates from spinach, about 5 minutes.
- In large pot of boiling water, cook linguini according to package directions.
- Reserve 1 cup of pasta water.
- Drain linguini and toss with 3/4 cup of pasta water, spinach mixture, cream cheese, parsley, and ground pepper.
- If sauce seems too thick, add the rest of the reserved pasta water, otherwise you can throw out the remaining 1/4 cup pasta water.
- Salt to taste.