Prep 5 hrs
Cook 25 mins
Simple and Classic.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 50 littleneck clams
- 6 ounces sea salt
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 8 ounces linguine
- 8 ounces clam juice
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 lemon
- 8 leaves fresh basil
- In a small bowl combine olive oil, minced garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cover and let sit.
- To clean the clams: Wash the clams in cold water. Fill a large bowl with water and non-iodized salt until it dissolves. Sprinkle in some corn meal. Inspect each clam and discard any broken clams. Carefully place the clams into the bowl, cover and let sit 2 hours in the fridge.
- Remove the clams from the salt bath and discard water. Rinse clams. Fill bowl again with salt until dissolved. Place clams in the bowl, cover and let sit in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Repeat Step 3.
- Start pot for liguini. Add pasta when boiling and cook until al dente.
- In a large sauce pan, fill with clam juice and one bottle full of water. Simmer until the clams start to open. Remove the opened ones and discard any that have not opened after 5-8 minutes. Save 1/2 cup of the clam water and pull the clams out of their shells.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium high heat. Strain olive oil and reserve garlic and red peppers. Add them back in once oil heats up. Once garlic starts to brown, add 1/2 cup of the reserved clam juice, wine, parsley, and oregano. Cook 5-10 minutes. Place remaining whole clams in the pan, cover and continue cooking until clams start to open.
- Add in reserved clams, lemon zest, and butter.
- Add in pasta and sautee for 1-2 minutes. Turn off heat and add in chopped basil, and fresh parmesan cheese.
- Plate and top with lemon zest and grated fresh parmesan cheese.