Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
From an Italian restaurant in R.I., we made a few changes. Oh so good.
Make and share this Linguini Alla Bolognese recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs linguine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 10 ounces pancetta, diced
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 8 -10 whole basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon italian dry herb seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- Start with a large pan over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil and garlic and cook until garlic start to brown.
- Add the onions, carrots and celery, and cook until the onions become translucent.
- In a separate saute pan brown the pancetta.
- When the onions are translucent, deglazed the pan with the white wine and allow to cook off before adding the beef and pork.
- Drain the fat from the pancetta and add to the meat mixture.
- As the meat cooks, slowly lower the heat until it's on low.
- When the meats are finished, strain the fat and discard it.
- Now add the rest of ingredients.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Sever over linguine.
Never having had Bolognese sauce before, I have nothing to compare it to. However, this is delicious. I prepared as directed and was delighted with the results. The flavors are wonderful. I have to admit that I never got around to preparing the linguini. After simmering, I packaged it for the freezer, leaving DH and I just enough for one meal. Lo and behold, early that evening, I looked up and he has fixed him a large bowl of this "soup" LOL! I told him that I was going to serve it over pasta and he said he liked the "soup" just like it was, so we had Bolognese "soup". Thanks Ed&Theresa! I am so glad I have some in the freezer!
Thank you Ed & Theresa for reminding me just how good a home-made Bolognaise sauce can be! I made this exactly to the recipe and the sauce was rich & bursting with flavour. I also made extra - I will freeze some for pasta dishes in the future or even for lasagne. A great CLASSIC recipe which was easy to follow and well written. Thanks for posting this - I even went out and bought the linguini this morning, just to go with this sauce!