Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Take advantage of your garden and the hot summer sun - let them make dinner. ;-) The extended cook time is really the time it takes Old Sol to _cook_ the sauce. You can be weeding the aforementioned garden while this happens; or taking a nap. I know what I'll choose.
- 2 lbs ripe tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 ounces linguine
- parmesan cheese, to taste
- Cut tomatoes in half and gently squeeze to extract seeds. Chop tomatoes into 1/2-inch pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, red onion, garlic (if using), basil, parsley, oregano,olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir lightly to mix.
- Cover bowl with a single layer of cheesecloth or a fine-mesh screen and place either outdoors in the sun or in a sunny window indoors, to marinate 4 to 5 hours.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta and pour into the bowl with the sauce.
- Toss together and serve immediately. Pass the parmesan.