Linguine With Spicy Lentil Sauce
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan; add in the celery, carrots, onions, and garlic; stir/saute over med-high heat, about 15 minutes, until the vegetables are soft and beginning to brown.
- Add in the hot peppers, salt, and red pepper flakes; continue sauting 5-10 minutes, allowing vegetables to brown—keep a close eye on the vegetables, stirring often, so they don’t burn.
- Add in the lentils and 5 cups water; cover, bring to a boil; decrease heat, and simmer until the lentils are soft but not falling apart, 18-22 minutes (if you lentils have been gathering dust in the pantry, they can take as much as 40 minutes to cook; for a longer cooking time, may have to add more water).
- When the lentils are tender, bring at least 5 quarts of water to a boil in a big pot.
- Generously salt water; drop in pasta; cook, stirring often, until al dente.
- Drain pasta and toss it into the lentil sauce; drizzle with an additional tablespoon or two of olive oil.
- Fold in lemon zest and parsley; serve immediately.