Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Bon Appetit, March 2000.
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3⁄4 lb mushroom, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 3⁄4 cup canned low sodium chicken broth (more if needed)
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 lb linguine
- 1 cup packed grated parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)
- Saute sausage in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until brown and cooked through, breaking up large pieces with fork, about 12 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to plate.
- Add mushrooms and crushed red pepper to drippings in skillet.
- Cover and cook until mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes.
- Add 3/4 cup broth and cream to skillet and set aside.
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite.
- Drain pasta; return to same pot.
- Add sausage, mushroom mixture and cheese.
- Toss over medium heat until sauce coats pasta thickly, adding more broth by 1/4 cupfuls if mixture is dry, about 3 minutes.
- Season pasta to taste with salt and pepper.