Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Adopted from Cooking for Comfort Book. This is very nice with a fresh salad and a glass of wine. If you want more clams and less pasta reduced the amount of pasta.
- 48 littleneck clams
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lb fresh linguine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- Scrub the clams.
- Bring the water and 1/2 cup of wine, 1 tsp dried oregano and the 3 sprigs of parsley to a boil.
- Add the clams, cover and cook till clams open, it takes 2-3 minutes.Remove the clams as they open. Throw away any that don't open. When they have all opened take the pot off the heat. Pour the liquid through a strainer. remove the clams from the shells, cut in half and set aside with the liquid. Throw away the shells.
- Prepare the linguini according to package directions.
- Clean the pot that the clams were cooked in and dry it.
- Heat oil and sauté the garlic until it starts to brown, takes about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, chopped basil, remaining parsley, fresh oregano and the remaining wine and hot pepper flakes.
- Bring to boil, cook a few minutes till tomatoes soften.
- Add the clams with the reserved liquid and cook for 2 minutes, until well blended. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add cooked linguini to the pan, stir to coat and serve.