Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 17 mins
I LOVE linguine with white clam sauce but there is also a place in my heart for clams with red sauce. Of course, this is better if you can use fresh shucked clams and fresh juice.
- 12 ounces linguine
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced garlic (yes, that is correct)
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup clam juice (fresh if you can get it)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded fresh basil
- 1 1⁄3 cups coarsely minced clams (fresh shucked, if possible)
- 4 teaspoons minced parsley
- Put the linguine in a large pot of boiling salted water; cook until pasta is al dente (8-9 minutes).
- While the pasta is cooking, add 4 tablespoons olive oil to a wide saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add in the garlic and stir/saute for about 3 minutes or until the garlic is golden brown.
- Immediately start adding tomatoes by crushing each one in your hands over the saucepan (do not use the tomato liquid left in the can).
- When all the tomatoes are added, stir in the tomato paste; blend well.
- Simmer for 2 minutes.
- When the pasta is read, drain into a colander.
- Pour clam juice into the tomato mixture over high heat.
- Add in the basil.
- Place the empty pasta cooking pot over med-high heat and add in the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Add in the clams; cook for 30 seconds, stirring.
- Return the pasta to the pasta pot, stirring to mix in the clams for about 30 seconds.
- Add in the tomato clam mixture to the paste, stirring well to mix.
- Cook for 1 minute; adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide mixture between 4 wide, shallow bowls.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon parsley over each bowl and serve immediately.