Recipe by PanNan
When we're in the mood for good home made spaghetti (we prefer linguine) and meatballs, I make a simple sauce and cook the meatballs in it for a long time. Just before serving we add fresh herbs and top it with Parmesan.
Top Review by LifeIsGood
Delicious!!! We loved the sauce flavor. At first, I thought there would be too strong of a wine taste, but once it simmered for an hour, it blended in and made for a complex flavor. Great directions and a wonderful spaghetti and meatballs recipe. Thank you!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 3 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 3 cups water
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh oregano
- grated or shredded parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix first nine ingredients by hand using a light touch.
- Shape into 1 1/2" meatballs.
- Brown slowly in a small amount of olive oil in a Dutch oven.
- Turn carefully to brown all sides.
- Meanwhile make sauce.
- Mix tomato paste, tomato sauce and water.
- When last side of meatballs are nearly brown, add tomato sauce mix to the pan.
- Add garlic, carrot, salt, pepper and wine.
- Stir, being careful not to break up meatballs, cover and simmer for at least an hour.
- Add fresh chopped basil and oregano to taste during the last ten minutes.
- Serve over linguini with Parmesan.