Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A suggested Christmas Dish originally from Giant
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh fennel leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 29 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 dash white vinegar
- 4 1⁄4 ounces sardines, oil packed
- parmigiano-reggiano cheese, garnish
- fennel leaves, garnish
- Note: 2 to 3 cups of fennel leaves can be used. You want the cups firmly packed. Cheese should be fresh grated.
- Place the fennel in 1 inch of water in sauce pan; cover and steam until wilted for about 3 to 4 minutes. Save the water and add to pasta.
- Heat oil in medium high heat. Add onions and garlic then saute until oonion is translucent. Add the sauce and the wilted fennel. Stir. Taste and season with sugar, salt and pepper.
- When the sauce begins to boil, cover and lower to medium heat. Simmer 30 minutes, stir occasionally. Add the vinegar and stir. Simmer 20 minutes more. Add the sardines to the sauce, stir, simmer for 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Cook the linquine according to package directions while simmering.
- Toss with the linquine. Sprinkle with cheese just before serving. Garnish with leaves.