Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
In ' On Top of Spaghetti...' by Johanne Killeen and George Germon
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons finely minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup finely minced fresh clams with their juice
- 1 2⁄3 cups pureed canned tomatoes
- 1 chopped fresh hot pepper (or 1/4 t. cayenne)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb dried linguine
- 4 -6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- homemade toasted breadcrumbs (optional)
- Add the olive oil, onions, carrots, celery, garlic, and parsley in a large straight-sided saute pan.
- Cook the vegetables over medium heat until soft without browning, about 10 minutes.
- Add the wine; increase heat, and cook at a brisk boil until most of the wine is evaporated, about 3 minutes.
- Add the clams, tomatoes, hot pepper, and a generous grinding of black pepper.
- Bring to a boil, decrease heat, and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
- When the sauce is nearly finished, generously salt the pasta water and drop in the linguine.
- Cook at a rapid boil, stirring frequently, until al dente.
- Drain pasta and add to the saute pan.
- Toss with 4 tablespoons of butter, or more to taste.
- The sauce should be glossy and clinging to the strands of linquine.
- Serve immediately with the bread crumbs.