Found this recipe from the Food Network (Emeril Live). It's delicious! Whether you're an anchovy-lover or not, try this recipe -- it's sweet, salty, and a little nutty (not fishy at all). I substitute whole-wheat pasta, split this recipe in half, toast some crusty bread, and it's the perfect dinner for 2.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 lb dry linguine
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 (2 ounce) cans anchovy fillets, well drained (not packed in salt variety)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, lightly toasted
- 1Set a large, 1-gallon stock pot with a pasta insert 3/4 full with water over high heat and bring to a boil. Add 1/4 cup of the salt to the water as it boils. Place the linguine in the salted water and return to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cook the pasta until nearly al dente, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and set aside, reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
- 2While the pasta cooks, set a 14-inch saute pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil and butter to the pan and, once the butter melts, add the onions.
- 3Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions have softened and caramelized, 10 to 12 minutes.
- 4Add the garlic and anchovies to the pan, stirring until fragrant and the anchovies have melted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 5Add the drained pasta and the reserved pasta cooking water to the pan and season with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, pepper, and parsley.
- 6Cook, tossing to combine, until the pasta is heated through and the water is nearly evaporated, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 7Remove from the heat, sprinkle with the toasted bread crumbs and toss to combine. Serve while hot.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Linguine With Caramelized Onions and Anchovies
Serving Size: 1 (351 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 870.5
- Calories from Fat 268
- Total Fat 29.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 39.3 mg
- Sodium 8882.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 133.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.8 g
- Sugars 14.6 g
- Protein 21.8 g