Recipe by Denise Cave
Very delicious pasta dish full of fresh vegetables. If quality fresh vegetables are not available, make another dish. Great with grilled chicken, fish or steak. Some good crusty bread and a crisp white wine are perfect partners if served as a main dish.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil, plus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup broccoli floret, cut into 1-inch length
- 2 small zucchini, trimmed, quartered lengthwise, cut crosswise into 1-inch lengths
- 4 asparagus spears, cut into 1-inch length
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, cut into 1-inch length
- 3 tablespoons fresh oregano, minced or 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄2 lb fresh peas, shelled
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 6 tablespoons olive oil (divided use)
- 2 cups thinly sliced mushrooms (about 3/4 lb)
- 1 teaspoon hot chili peppers, finely minced or 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 t fresh parsley, minced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 5 medium firm ripe tomatoes, peeled, cored, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled and chopped with 2 T minced fresh parsley
- 1 lb linguine, preferably fresh
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄3 cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- To make vinaigrette dressing, whisk oil, vinegar. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Vegetables will be steamed as follows:.
- (as each vegetable finishes, transfer to colander to drain) Steam broccoli over boiling water, covered, until crisp tender, about three minutes. Steam zucchini about two minutes. Steam Steam asparagus about three minutes. Sprinkle green beans with oregano and steam until beans are crisp tender, about eight minutes. Sprinkle peas with thyme and steam until just tender, about three minutes. After all vegetables have drained transfer to large bowl.
- Heat 1 T oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, chili pepper, and 1/4 c parsley. Saute, stirring occasionally, two minutes. Add to vegetables.
- Heat 3 T oil in same skillet; reduce to medium low heat. Add 1 t garlic and tomatoes; cook, stirring gently, five minutes. Stir in basil. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat 2 T oil in clean large skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 t garlic and saute one minute. Add vegetables from bowl; saute, stirring gently just until heated through, about two minutes. Transfer to large serving bowl.
- Heat large kettle of salted water to boiling. If using fresh linguine, add to kettle and cook until al dente, about 30 seconds, after water returns to boil. If using dried, cook according to package directions. Drain pasta in colander, rinse under cold running water to cool; drain well.
- Pour vinaigrette over vegetables and coat well. Let marinate at room temperature five minutes. Add tomato mixture, linguine, parmesan and salt and pepper to taste. Toss to mix well. Garnish with parsley and optional pine nuts. Serve at room temperature or refrigerate, covered, until cold.