Recipe by Pets'R'us
We used to eat this sausage on our holidays in Portugal. This recipe comes closest to how I remember it tasting. I do not have a smoker so the liquid smoke is a good solution. Freezes well. If I can get casings I make the sausage but as patties or burgers this is great too. No standing time included.
Top Review by eddonnell
I followed your recipe and instructions, I did not deviate from them at all. Both myself and my 87 year old Portuguese Uncle , who is from Fall River , Mass ( both his parents where born in Sao Miguel , the Azores) and we tasted no hint of Liguisa? It tasted more like a basic breakfast sausage , minus the sage with more garlic. Could you review your recipe and see if maybe you left something out? And if to you this is genuine Portuguese Linguisa, I would have to just strongly disagree. We took such pains to follow it exact, and the other reviewers seemed to have got what they wanted, I'm just baffled.
- 5 lbs pork butt, coarsely ground (my butcher does this for me)
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke (adjust to taste or depending on the brand you use)
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground white pepper
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper