A popular Brazilian appetizer. Adapted from Planet Barbecue. Try to find the straightest sausage links possible. Other cooked sausage may be substituted; kielbasa is a good alternative.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs linguica sausage (or other cooked sausage)
- 6 ounces coarsely grated cheese (mozzarella, jack, gouda or other soft cheese)
- Slice the sausage in half lengthwise.
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Brush and oil grill grate.
- Grill sausage, cut side down, until sizzling and golden brown, 3-5 minutes.
- Turn sausage over.
- Thickly sprinkle cut side with cheese.
- Close grill lid and continue grilling until sausage is browned on uncut side and cheese is melted and bubbling, about 3 minutes more.
- Using a spatula, carefully transfer the linguica to a cutting board, keeping the cheese on top.
- Cut crosswise into 1" pieces.
- Serve on toothpicks.