Recipe by "Food:The Way To Anyone's Heart"
This recipe is well known to Portuguese families. Linguica is a spicy Portuguese sausage and can be found in specialty markets, some chain markets or online at such places as Gaspars.com. TIP: I like to add 1 large can of crushed tomatoes with puree instead of the tomato sauce. This makes it more like a stew and thicker.
Top Review by Lazarus
Quite a tasty dish! We cut the amount of beans to 3/4 lb, as it seemed to be enough. Bean lovers may want more, but it was perfect for us. We substituted Chorizo for Linguica, as we had it on hand. I'm not sure how much of a difference that made, but it was still great. Will make again.
- 1 lb fresh green beans, tipped and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 lb linguica sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion, garlic, and bell pepper in 1-2 Tablespoons butter or olive oil until onions are tender.
- Place onions,garlic, bell pepper, potatoes, linguica, and green beans in a large saucepan.
- Add enough water to cover.
- Add All-spice, red pepper, tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer until beans are crisp tender and potatoes are fork tender (approx. 1 hour).