Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is well known to Portuguese families. Linguica is a spicy Portuguese sausage and can be found in specialty markets, some chain markets or online at such places as Gaspars.com. TIP: I like to add 1 large can of crushed tomatoes with puree instead of the tomato sauce. This makes it more like a stew and thicker.
- 1 lb fresh green beans, tipped and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 lb linguica sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Saute onion, garlic, and bell pepper in 1-2 Tablespoons butter or olive oil until onions are tender.
- Place onions,garlic, bell pepper, potatoes, linguica, and green beans in a large saucepan.
- Add enough water to cover.
- Add All-spice, red pepper, tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer until beans are crisp tender and potatoes are fork tender (approx. 1 hour).
Quite a tasty dish! We cut the amount of beans to 3/4 lb, as it seemed to be enough. Bean lovers may want more, but it was perfect for us. We substituted Chorizo for Linguica, as we had it on hand. I'm not sure how much of a difference that made, but it was still great. Will make again.
This recipe was a big hit at a party the other night. It is so authentic and reminds me of my links to Fall River, MA growing up in the Portuguese community. This is as good as it gets! Absolutely fabulous and so easy to put together and cook. Elisabeth
What wonderful flavor. My first time using linguica and it was wonderful. I didn;t know what to expect with spiciness, so I left out the red pepper as I was sharing this with my Father who is not a heat lover. Next time I will add it. I was worried about the allspice but no need to be. My was very liquidy, so I did have to simmer about 30 minutes without the cover to thicken it up. I will be buying linguica just to make this from now on...this dish has a fresh flavor that begs you to eat more.