Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is well known to Portuguese families. Linguica is a spicy Portuguese sausage and can be found in specialty markets, some chain markets or online at such places as Gaspars.com. TIP: I like to add 1 large can of crushed tomatoes with puree instead of the tomato sauce. This makes it more like a stew and thicker.
- 1 lb fresh green beans, tipped and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 lb linguica sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Saute onion, garlic, and bell pepper in 1-2 Tablespoons butter or olive oil until onions are tender.
- Place onions,garlic, bell pepper, potatoes, linguica, and green beans in a large saucepan.
- Add enough water to cover.
- Add All-spice, red pepper, tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer until beans are crisp tender and potatoes are fork tender (approx. 1 hour).