Recipe by Kovie
This is an old family recipe. When my Grandmother (b. 1885) made it she would use red, unpeeled, apples, cooked the first 30 minutes and then let them sit overnight. Then run them through a colander. This gives the Apple Butter a wonderful rich color. This Apple Butter is great when used with my Apple Butter Doughnut recipe.
Directions See How It's Made
- Core, peel& thickly slice the apples.
- Should have about 30 cups sliced.
- Place in 10 qt dutch oven, add cider (or water).
- Bring to boiling, reduce heat.
- Cover and cook until soft, about 30 minutes.
- Stirring occasionally.
- Stir in sugar and corn syrup.
- Boil gently stirring frequently with long handled spoon until mixture is of desired thickness about 1 3/4 hour.
- Stir in spices, cook and stir 15 minutes more.
- Pour into hot jars, adjust lids and process in boiling water bath 10 minutes.
- (Begin timing when water returns to boil.).