Recipe by Brenda.
Creamy and dreamy is how my friend Marilyn describes this recipe. A sun-shiney lemon cake that is cool and refreshing. Lemon lovers, this one's for you!
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Now this is a REAL LEMON CAKE, for sure! Puddings, pie filling, cake, the whole shebang! I'd made this for my other half to take to work the other day for a special luncheon (they're always having those kinds of things), but when I got through making it, I was so attracted to the lemony smell in the kitchen that I decided to keep it right here. Instead, I made a batch of brownies for him to take! This cake is really wonderful, & a hard copy of the recipe is now safely tucked into my recipe file in the kitchen! Thanks so much for sharing it! It is definitely a keeper! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's Pick A Chef event]
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box lemon cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup poppy seed (or less per taste)
- 1 (21 ounce) can lemon pie filling
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) box instant lemon pudding
- 1 cup milk
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9x13 cake pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together on low the 1st 6 ingredients. When combined increase speed to medium and mix for an additional 4 minutes.
- Pour into greased 9x13 cake pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35- 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely.
- Spread lemon pie filling evenly over cooled cake.
- In a large bowl mix together instant lemon pudding mix and milk until thickened.
- Fold cool whip into pudding mixture.
- Spread evenly over lemon pie filling.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Note: I baked the cake in 2-9 inch rounds for about 27 minutes vs a 9x13 :).