Recipe by Terri Newell
My mother-in-law gave me the best recipe for sweet and sour sauce that I've ever tried. We like it best on meatballs, but it's also good on leftover cooked chicken or roast pork, and my children even like it on chopped-up hotdogs ! My husband prefers it to be served with mashed potatoes on the side, so he can scoop some of the sauce over them.
Top Review by Bekah49036
This was not the best sweet and sour sauce I've ever had but for the small amount of ingredients and the simplicity of the recipe, it is definitely a keeper. I added some salt and crushed red pepper flakes at the end for a little more flavor. Thank you for sharing Terri.
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine water and white sugar in saucepan, bring to a boil.
- Add ketchup, return to boil.
- Dissolve cornstarch in cold water.
- Add cornstarch mixture to boiling mixture slowly, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and continue stirring until thickened.
- note- this makes a fairly thick sauce.
- If you prefer a runnier consistency, use less cornstarch.