Recipe by Linda's Busy Kitchen
This is absolutely delicious! I created this recipe for the first time at Thanksgiving this year, and got rave reviews. Try it, your family will love it!
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 4 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, add more to your taste
- 3 lbs fresh cleaned spinach (I buy in 1 lb. bags)
- salt and pepper, to taste (I used coarse ground pepper)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice or dice the butter into small pieces, and melt it over low heat in a NON-aluminum saucepan.
- It's important to avoid aluminum, because it tends to turn light-colored sauces an unappetizing gray hue.
- When the butter has begun to foam and bubble, vigorously mix in the flour with a wooden spoon, or wire whisk.
- If you want your final sauce to be white, make absolutely sure not to let the roux turn brown.
- If it does begin to get tinged with beige, turn down the burner, or remove the pot from the heat altogether, to let the roux cool down for a few seconds.
- Let cook and bubble 2-3 minutes, until the roux is smooth, and has the consistency of cake frosting.
- This removes the floury taste.
- When making a roux-based sauce, always be sure that the roux and the liquid (milk or stock) are different temperatures before you combine them.
- If the roux is hot, the liquid should be cold; if the roux is cold, the liquid should be hot.
- Combining the 2 ingredients at different temperatures allows them to heat up at a moderate rate, not too fast, and not too slow, ensuring a velvety-smooth, lump-free sauce.
- If you're not yet a sauce expert, try the hot liquid/cold roux approach first.
- That way, you can gradually add roux until the sauce is the exact thickness you like.
- Gradually stir in milk, and garlic powder.
- Bring to boil, and then reduce heat.
- Let simmer 3-5 minutes, or until thickened.
- Keep warm.
- Cook 3 lbs of fresh spinach in boiling water, for about 5 minutess.
- You don't want it to be mushy, just al dente.
- Strain, and put in serving dish.
- Pour sauce over spinach.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve.