Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I have made this many times and everyone loves it, especially the kids...Try it...You will love it too! Serving size really depends on how small or lg. you cut your wedges. If you want a great sauce to use with this recipe, try my recipe for Recipe #258679. It's a delicious sauce and sure to please!
- 1 lb spaghetti, cooked
- 4 cups of your own homemade spaghetti sauce or 1 (32 ounce) jarof your favorite spaghetti sauce
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced (add only if you are using a jar or can of spaghetti sauce)
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning (add only if you are using a jar or can of spaghetti sauce)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil (add only if you are using a jar or can of spaghetti sauce)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- mozzarella cheese, to sprinkle on top of each pie
- 2 (9-inch) deep dish pie pans.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Boil spaghetti according to pkg directions. Drain, and set aside.
- Brown the meat, and IF you are using canned or jarred spaghetti sauce, add onion, Italian seasoning, and basil to the beef mixture.
- If you are using your own homemade sauce, it will already have enough spices in it to your taste.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Beat 2 eggs, and mix in with spaghetti.
- Add Parmesan cheese, and mix well. Set aside.
- Spray pie pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- Layer each pie pan, making a well in the middle, with a thin layer of spaghetti on the bottom, and bringing spaghetti up the sides to make a pie crust.
- You may, or may not have spaghetti left over, depending on how big your pie plates are. Set aside.
- Beat 2 eggs, add Ricotta and parsley. Mix well.
- Layer a layer of spaghetti, a layer of ricotta, a layer of meat, and a layer of sauce.
- Cover with Mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 mins., or until cheese is bubbly, and all is nice and hot.
- Serve with garlic bread or sticks, and a salad, and you have a delicious meal!
We thought this was good. I had cut the recipe in half, because I only wanted one pie, but ended up with enough spaghetti & meat filling to fill 2 pies. I had extra ricotta, so I just made a 2nd pie and froze it. I usually use a different recipe, but wanted to try a different one. Hubby definitely liked this one better. I prefer the other one, only because that recipe mixes the ricotta in with the spaghetti mixture. Hubby definitely prefers the flavor of the layering effect. All in all, we all really enjoyed it, even my 2 year old who does not like much of anything at dinnertime. If he eats it, it means the recipe is truly a great one. Thanks for sharing it.
This got an enthusiastic thumbs up from all 6 diners, including my Italian-American mom. Even my DH, who sometimes complains that we eat too much Italian-style food, loved this. What's not to like? Simple, easy, fast, cheap broad appeal and yummy. I did sub cottage cheese for the ricotta because that's all I had. I used a good quality jar sauce, fresh basil and parsley, and fresh mozzarella. I had some leftover loose mild italian sausage so I mixed that with 1/2 lb of ground beef. My kids were soaking up the juice with their bread. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, it's a keeper!
Hearty, satisfying family meal. Thank you for sharing!