Recipe by Karen Elizabeth
Chilli heat tempered with coconut milk is the essence of Caribbean cooking. This dish is lovely with a simple avocado and tomato salad, drizzled with vinaigrette. This could also be made with ordinary burgers, or tofu cubes. Posted for ZWT5, taken from Linda McCartneys "World Of Vegetarian Cooking".
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 225 g veggie burgers, cubed
- 1 small chili, trimmed and de-seeded
- 3 tomatoes, chopped small
- 600 ml coconut milk
- 350 g long grain rice
- 225 g tinned black-eyed beans or 225 g kidney beans, drained
- sea salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion in the olive oil, then add the burger cubes and toss until they are lightly browned.
- Then add the remaining ingredients except for the beans, and stir well.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and cook for a further ten minutes, until the rice is tender, adding water if necessary.
- Season to taste.