Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
Chilli heat tempered with coconut milk is the essence of Caribbean cooking. This dish is lovely with a simple avocado and tomato salad, drizzled with vinaigrette. This could also be made with ordinary burgers, or tofu cubes. Posted for ZWT5, taken from Linda McCartneys "World Of Vegetarian Cooking".
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 225 g veggie burgers, cubed
- 1 small chili, trimmed and de-seeded
- 3 tomatoes, chopped small
- 600 ml coconut milk
- 350 g long grain rice
- 225 g tinned black-eyed beans or 225 g kidney beans, drained
- sea salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion in the olive oil, then add the burger cubes and toss until they are lightly browned.
- Then add the remaining ingredients except for the beans, and stir well.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and cook for a further ten minutes, until the rice is tender, adding water if necessary.
- Season to taste.
We really enjoyed these! I used black beans instead of the red kidney beans just because we both prefer them but otherwise made as stated. Delicious! Made for ZWT 5 :)
The is a quick and easy recipe. I did have to add around a cup of water as it became extremely thick. I also seasoned with some Smoked Paprika because I felt there was a flavour missing. I used Lentil Burgers instead of Veggie burgers and by the end of it the burgers had completely disappeared into the mix (not that this was a bad thing :) ) Thanks for a lovely recipe Karen Elizabeth! Made for ZWT5 Zingo
This makes a nice, quick week night meal. I used a jalapeno pepper and didn't find this hot at all I loved the creaminess imparted by the coconut milk. Also, I accidentally opened a can of black beans so used those instead of kidney beans. Made for Jammin' Java Jivers ZWT5.